WELCOME TO JAMESTOWN FLES-SPANISH PROGRAM
SCHOOL YEAR 2017-18
- To develop high levels of proficiency in Spanish at the beginning stage of language acquisition.
- To provide a meaningful context for developing communication skills in Spanish.
- To build an understanding and appreciation for the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world.
- To strengthen the language competency of Spanish speaking students (native or heritage speakers).
The purpose of the FLES Spanish Program is:
- To prepare students to begin developing functional skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in Spanish.
- To provide a nurturing environment where students feel comfortable learning a second language.
- To develop proficiency in oral and written communication in Spanish through the integration of language skills and concepts taught in the content areas.
- To encourage all students to develop an openness, understanding and appreciation for other cultures.
Students receive at least 90 minutes of instruction weekly.
The FLES program requires that FLES teachers hold a Virginia’s teacher’s license in Spanish as Foreign Language (Spanish K-12). It is highly recommended that FLES teachers be dually certified in foreign language and in elementary education.
Expectations for Language:
The expectations for students learning Spanish as a second language who complete the K-5 sequence are to attain the Novice-Mid level as described in the Proficiency Guidelines of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. At a Novice-Mid level, the student can engage in simple conversations, can speak and write short sentences, and can read and understand brief text, among other skills.Language expectations, themes and vocabulary have been developed as part of the Scope and Sequence for FLES. These versions vary by year in school and the school’s year in implementation. These documents help to give an overview of what FLES students will be able to know and do by the end of the year.
- Kindergarten FLES
- First Grade FLES
- Second Grade FLES
- Third Grade FLES
- Fourth Grade FLES
- Fifth Grade FLES